Monday, February 15, 2010

cooking with the devil

Ever since I was a little girl, I've had a thing against garlic. I'll eat dishes it's been put into for flavor, but that's pretty much the extent of it. My family's always thought my DNA is mildly mutated since both my parents could be happy garlic-breathing dragons. My disenchantment with the onion-kin, combined with my family's persistence in amending my taste buds--"But, Britni, it's good for you!" they say, as if that will win me over--has resulted in my defending myself, most notably by pointing out that garlic is Satan's food. Who else would create something so offensively stinky and then say, "Here, eat it."? I've also refused to wash the garlic press. I will wash everything in the sink and leave that piece of sin for Mom.

But then my boyfriend came along. And if Mom & Dad were flirting with garlic, he would be involved in full-fledged affair with it. (As evidence, the guy once ate no less than 7 cloves of the raw stuff on his pasta. Sweet Mary!) So in what can only be described as an act of devotion (and an ounce of insanity), I've cut garlic, pressed it, cooked it and washed the press all within the past month. What is happening? Next thing I know, I'll be craving the stuff. My boyfriend will be thrilled. All these developments reek of villainy. So I guess it's official: I'm one step closer to the underworld of Satan's liar. The good news is, I'm joining my family and boyfriend there.

(Dun, dun, dun...)

1 comment:

  1. You'll be joining all the rest of us who love the stuff! My family (read: my mom and I) eats garlic on toast. Toast with warm butter and a topping of freshly smashed garlic. It's wonderful! But you have to eat it on a day you won't be leaving the house lol.

    ReplyDelete